Tuning The Tale #4


This is a weekly feature I have started to share my love of music while combining it with the amazing stories I read on the daily. I'll be sharing either a playlist with you all each week! Along with this, I'll be analyzing the lyrics and pointing out parallels between the books and the songs. I hope you enjoy!

A Court of Mist and Fury
**here's a warning that this IS spoilery**
Searching For A Feeling by Third Story
Say It by Flume ft. Tove Lo
All I Want by Kodaline
Bravado by Lorde
Drops of Jupiter by Train
Dark Paradise by Lana Del Rey
Your Body Is a Wonderland by John Mayer
Yours by Ella Henderson
Coming Down by Halsey


About a month ago I saw Tori Kelly in concert and Third Story was her opening act. Their EP just came out and on it was a song they performed at the concert. Searching For A Feeling, I thought, really capture the essence of acomaf. When listening to it, I really viewed it from Rhys' point of view.  
  • "you see yourself in my arms, but you won't get far with my cold, cold heart; can't give you something I can't find." 
I kinda took this from Rhys' pov pre-Feyre and kinda during Amarantha's reign. 
  • "I've been searching for a feeling, haven't found it yet, hope I don't regret it. I've been searching for a feeling, I got every reason to feel."
Then, I took this as the bond. The BOND is the feeling that Rhys hasn't found yet. 

Say It by Flume reminds me of Tamlin and Feyre post Amarantha. They're both, ya know, a mess, and it's really taking a toll on practically everyone in the Spring court (lets be real). 
  • "I'm getting through your heartbreak; some kinda freak, sing for me, don't know what I need"
Feyre, anyone? I thought this explained her thought process little, but this next line really got it for me. 
  • "Don't doubt me babe you make me wanna change. Break my bed to make me wanna stay - I can't." 
*screams* it's literally Tamlin and Feyre in the first part of the book. 

All I Want by Kodaline reminded me of Rhys when he was under the mountain and having visions of Feyre in her village, and then post Amarantha when they were saying goodbye, etc etc.
  • "All I want is nothing more, than to hear you knocking at my door. cause if I could see your face once more, I'd die a happy man I'm sure."
So yeah, Rhys under the mountain, and then:
  • "So you brought out the best in me, a part of me I've never seen. You took my soul and wiped it clean; our love was made for movie screens."
This was pretty much chapter 55 *wink* and then:
  • "But if you loved me, why'd you leave me ..."
and that is literally the last (or second to last) chapter of the book !!!! 

I love everything Lorde does, so of course I'm gonna include her in this playlist. Bravado is basically Rhys, Azriel, and Cassian, but also Rhys when he has to put on the front of being the heartless High Lord. 
  • "cause I was raised up to be admired, to be noticed" 
We know the three musketeers were raised to be warriors and fighters, so I thought this was a good line to describe that. 
  • "I'm faking glory; lick my lips, toss my hair, and turn my smile on and the story's brand new"
This book we learn that Rhys isn't the heartless High Lord everyone swears he is, and so I thought this really described how Rhys took being a High Lord. 

Drops of Jupiter by Train - I just thought it was perfect for the Night Court. Feyre drew stars on her cabinet, Velaris is the City of Starlight, Rhys is a star; the parallels are uncanny (also theres no need to explain myself for this song just believe me)

Dark Paradise by Lana Del Rey is pretty much Tamlin's anthem throughout this book (lmao). Even though Feyre made it pretty clear she wasn't gonna put up with his crap, Tammy was still holding on.
  • "And there's no remedy for memory, your face is like a melody - it won't leave my head. your soul is haunting me and telling me that everything is fine, but I wish I was dead"
Sounds kinda like tammy's thought process throughout the entire book.
  • "Every time I close my eyes it's like a dark paradise. No one compares to you, I'm scared that you won't be waiting on the other side."  
literally tammy the entire book - yikes.

Your Body Is a Wonderland by John Mayer ... chapter 55 anyone??
  • "something 'bout the way the hair falls in your face. I love the shape you take when crawling towards the pillowcase"
*shrieks*
  • "and if you want love? we'll make it. swim in a deep sea of blankets. take all your big plans and break em - this is bound to be a while"
Yours by Ella Henderson is a beautiful ballad, which is why I thought I'd pair it up with two beautiful people (ahem Rhys and Feyre)
  • "and I will find my strength to untape my mouth, when I used to be afraid of the words. But with you I've learned just to let it out, now my heart is ready to burst"
It took Feyre a bit of time to really open herself up to Rhys, and vice versa, so I thought this worked both ways. 
  • "Cause I, I feel like I'm ready for love and I, I wanna be your everything and more. And I know everyday I say it, but I just want you to be sure that I am yours" 
feyrerhys feyrerhys feyrerhys feyrerhys

I swear Badlands has a song for every freakin book ever written. Coming Down is LITERALLY the plot of A Court of Mist and Fury and every time I hear it I want to screech.

  • "I found the devil, I found him in a lover. And his lips like tangerine and his color coded speak. now we're lost somewhere in outer space, in a hotel room where demons play. they run around beneath our feet, we roll around beneath these sheets." 
I will not have anyone argue with me about this one - Coming Down is an ACOMAF anthem


I hope you guys liked this post - I know it has been a while since I posted, but I'm finally ready to get back on track! I'm pretty proud of this playlist and really hope you guys like it!! 


No comments :

Post a Comment