ARC Review: The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson


5/5 Stars 
Published by Simon & Schuster
Published May 3rd, 2016

Synopsis: Andie had it all planned out. 

When you are a politician’s daughter who’s pretty much raised yourself, you learn everything can be planned or spun, or both. Especially your future.

Important internship? Check.

Amazing friends? Check.

Guys? Check (as long as we’re talking no more than three weeks)

But that was before the scandal. Before having to be in the same house with her dad. Before walking an insane number of dogs. That was before Clark and those few months that might change her whole life.

Because here’s the thing - if everything's planned out, you can never find the unexpected.

And where’s the fun in that?

Review copy provided by Edelweiss - thank you Edelweiss and Simon & Schuster!


This was so much fun. The Unexpected Everything is the first Morgan Matson book I have read, and with all the hype surrounding her other books, I had quite a high expectation for this one. As you guys know, I've been struggling with a bit of a reading slump, which A Study in Charlotte was able to eradicate, but this book had me flying through the chapters and pages, completely forgetting about the struggle I was recently having. There is something so addicting when it comes to the way Morgan Matson writes. These characters are so much fun to read about and explore, but besides them, their adventures and experiences are all the more thrilling. My expectations were met and exceeded, making The Unexpected Everything one of my favorite contemporary novels, and a very unexpected surprise. 

I honestly just had such a fun time reading this book. I could not put it down for the life of me and felt myself consistently falling in love with these characters. This group of friends reminded me so much of my group of friends, that I started relating these characters back to my friends and placing myself in their shoes. I was invested in the story and these characters, which may seem easy to do, but is especially easier when they are relatable and real - which is exactly what they are. They rely on each other, find trust and hope in one another, are some of the closest friends I've read about, and serve a prime example of how fragile and delicate a friendship is; and that it should be cherished for as long as it lasts. Andie was a wonderful main character that endured quite a bit of drama throughout this story, but prevailed in the end. It proved her durability as a friend, student, and daughter, and showed me that it's alright to not always have a plan - taking each day at a time is just fine. 

From what I knew about Morgan Matson's books, or at least what I thought I knew, I was expecting a light and fluffy contemporary that was all happiness and nothing devastating. Well, I can tell you that I was wrong. There is a theme in this story that is so dependent on trust - developing or rekindling it - and friendship -maintaining or creating it, - that you catch yourself really starting to understand these characters and the depths of their being. The relationship between Clark and Andie (which made me sooooo happy) was much more than just a summer fling. It tested the boundaries of what was expected/usual and unexpected/magical, which made the relationship that much more real. The Unexpected Everything dealt with much more than just a fluffy romance, cliche friendship, and summer adventure, and it was phenomenal.

I definitely want to read all of Morgan Matson's books after reading this one, and hope to read Amy & Roger's Epic Detour asap (because I hear that one is apparently the best). The Unexpected Everything was fantastic, phenomenal, and grand and I recommend it to the entire world - especially if you're in the mood for contemporary and cute dogs. The plot was exactly what this book needed to keep it moving forward, and there were even twists and turns that you weren't expecting (which really lives up to the title). There's nothing else to say now except that I love Candie and Bertie, and have a lovely time reading this gem. 


No comments :

Post a Comment