The One (The Selection #3) by Kiera Cass


3.5/5 Stars
Published by HarperTeen
Published May 6, 2014

Synopsis: The time has come for one winner to be crowned. When she was chosen to compete in the Selection, America never dreamed she would find herself anywhere close to the crown - or to Prince Maxon's heart. But as the end of the competition approaches, and the threats outside the palace walls grow more vicious, America realizes just how much she stands to lose - and how hard she'll have to fight for the future she wants.

This was definitely my favorite book out of the three! I felt very satisfied with how Kiera Cass wrapped up this series; it put a definite end to everything. The plot was a lot more action packed than the last two, which really peaked my interest. There was more reckless behavior and risks that were taken in this book, which made it so much more fun. This series remained a constant 3.5/5 stars throughout its stressful journey. There were many ups and downs, and parts where I wanted to rip the hair from my scalp, but it was beautifully wrapped together with a bow. 

America Singer, oh America, she continued to rile me up. Her behavior was a bit better in this book, and she really began establishing relationships with the other girls, which was lovely to see. There were multiple scenes where the girls were really enjoying their time at the castle and that made me really enjoy the book. The small scenes and minor details really made up for my annoyance with the main character. What I truly liked about this book, was that America began trying to win Maxon over. Instead of Maxon constantly chasing America, we begin to see mutual feelings with a fight and drive. Maxon was truly the best character in this book, maybe even along with Celeste (which is surprising, I know). He was able to keep the plot moving forward while America was fighting with herself.  

There were a lot of relationships in this book that were introduced for the first time, but they weren't as developed as I hoped they would be. For example, we learn more about the Northern rebels, but this relationship wasn't as establish as I wished. The king starts forming a relationship with America, but it definitely does not begin with a good start. He begins to seriously confront her as she tests his patience, but it is definitely a relationship you all wanna watch out for. The one relationship I loved the most was America and Queen Amberly. She really viewed America, as well as the rest of the girls, as one of her own. She began to give them advice and approach them on certain topics, she even began participating in activities. There was an overall appreciation for her presence that was given off by the girls, and she certainly returned that right back. 

I saw many different directions this plot could have taken, but I think the ending was probably the best solution. This series has been the most stressful series I've ever read in my entire life. I never knew I could cheer for and loathe a character at the same time, but I managed to do that with America Singer. If you're looking for a fun read, I recommend this a hundred percent, but if you're quick to get frustrated, you may want to take this read slow and steady. It was certainly addicting, but definitely enjoyable when you take a moment to look at the story as a whole. 

I hear there is a fourth installment to the series entitled The Heir, but I do not know how long it will take me to come around to it. This trilogy felt like the perfect dosage of the entire idea of a Selection. 







No comments :

Post a Comment