Never Fade by Alexandra Bracken


5/5 Stars
Published by Disney Hyperion
Published October 15, 2013

Synopsis: Ruby never asked for the abilities that almost cost her her life. Now she must call upon them on a daily basis, leading dangerous missions to bring down a corrupt government and breaking into the minds of her enemies. Other kids in the Children's League call Ruby "Leader", but she knows what she really is: a monster.

When Ruby is entrusted with an explosive secret, she must embark on her most dangerous mission yet: leaving the Children's League behind. Crucial information about the disease that killed most of America's children - and turned Ruby and the others who lived into feared and hated outcasts - has survived every attempt to destroy it. But the truth is only saved in one place: a flash drive in the hands of Liam Stewart, the boy Ruby once believed was her future - and who no wouldn't recognize her. 

As Ruby sets out across a desperate, lawless country to find Liam - and answers about the catastrophe that has ripped both her life and America apart - she is torn between old friends and the promise she made to serve the League. Ruby will do anything to protect the people she loves. But what if winning the war means losing herself? 

This was one of the best sequels I have ever read! Alexandra Bracken has such an amazing writing style that leaves you wanting more. For the past few weeks, I've been constantly thinking about the plot and the characters simply because I've felt so connected to every single detail that she conveyed. I also started making connections between the book and a couple of songs, which eventually made me lose my mind (because now I think about Rubiam every time I hear them!). I had very high hopes for this book and it did not disappoint. I'm super happy about the direction this series is taking.

The introduction of new characters in this book was what really made me enjoy it more. Vida and Jude were so interesting to get to know, that it made the adventure that much more intriguing. Vida is very much a badass and has quite the temper. Her anger and open hostility towards people is what keeps her and her teammates alive, but it also keeps people from getting close to her. Throughout the book we do get to see her open up and take down some of her barriers. Jude is the complete opposite of Vida. Jude has a very bright and cheerful personality despite the crappy situation he is in. I think the playful and naive energy that he brings to the story was definitely needed. He serves as a light in the darkness, someone Ruby can look to for positivity.

What I loved the most about this sequel was the plot. At the ending of The Darkest Minds, we're left in the dark and without any clue as to where the second book will take us. It was entirely too stressful to even sit and wait to begin the second book, so I just dived right into the cold water. The amount of stress that I had while reading this book, has to be proof of how amazing the development was. I love the characters, I love the theme and the dark aspects, and I love the world. There was so much that happened throughout this book, it's difficult to keep quiet about all of it. All I can say is, if you haven't read The Darkest Minds yet, I recommend picking it up immediately, because it will change your life.

Of course Never Fade ended in a crazy cliffhanger and my mind is reeling, so if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go pick up In The Afterlight now. (Also, screams because Liam Stewart)

My review on The Darkest Minds


No comments :

Post a Comment